Current jam- Don’t save her by J.COLE
So, I recently posted a picture on my instagram (@mikunstyles) and I asked if you’d like a post on how I keep my hair moisturized daily and I got a few Yess. So here it is…
First of, natural kinky hair type is naturally dry, the implication of this is that the natural state of us #fro girl’s hair is DRY, having said this I hope you can breathe… its not you girl, its your hair *inserts laughing emoji here*
There are various ways to keep your hair moisturized, but in this post, I will start with the very basic that you can easily achieve daily.
LOC- yes the infamous Liquid, Oil and Cream method
This method is super easy and fast, whenever I am wearing my hair out, I opt for this method… I will normally section my hair (to work in the LOC properly)
- My liquid is water (not too much because too much water shrinks my hair), I spray water on my hair making sure I work the water into my hair strands (this can be tricky especially if you have low porosity hair) and also making sure the water gets to my scalp, it is very important that your scalp gets water too, your scalp is just as important as your hair if not more important.
P.S Aloe vera juice can be used in place of water.
- I grab my Oil which is usually Coconut oil or sometimes Olive oil apply it to my hair in a very small quantity, I do this because too much oil in the hair attracts dust, and I don’t want that, but if you like your hair to shine, you can go overboard with the oil, just make sure you wash your hair when needed.
- My cream is Shea butter; it acts as the sealant that is it locks the moisture from the water and oil into the hair strands. I prefer the shea butter cream because it is affordable and easy to work into my hair. I apply just a little cream to my scalp to avoid dry scalp and prevent product build up on my scalp. Then I style as desired which is mostly an updo.
Note, the ends of your hair should get so much love, they are the oldest and need more attention. You should also get a trim when needed. I have only trimmed my hair once, I cut about an inch all round.
My hair stays moisturized for a few hours after the LOC method after which it goes back to its natural state ‘DRY’ this is where my Spray bottle comes in.
When I feel like my hair is dry, I just spray it with water, just a few pumps and I will immediately I see my hair come back to live, my curl pattern will become more visible and my curls begin to pop looool
The content of my spray bottle varies.
- Sometimes its just water
- Other times it is water with a small amount of oil (for a little shine)
- Or water mixed with a leave-in conditioner. I use this dark and lovely leave-in,
this mixture leaves my hair feeling soft and moisturized.
I mostly just spray my hair with water, but if I’m feeling a little extra, I go extra *inserts laughing emoji here*
The journey to a moisturized hair is not achieved in a day; you have to add it to your routine, think of your hair as a plant that cannot flourish without water. On this note, I end this natural hair care story. Till the next blog post.
Please leave a comment down below. I always love to hear from you. It literally makes me grin